Sunday 18 September 2011

progress

My design is a portable/hand held 3D scanner. It measures volume, to determine of a scanned object can fit into a negative space that has also been scanned. It would be useful for storing objects efficiently, with the least amount of wasted space. Applications for this product would be domestic and industrial use. It could also be used in security, where an area can be scanned to determine if something is missing.

It is essentially a torch form, and the user would press a 'trigger' like button, which would allow the scanner to pop out. There are another two buttons, to differentiate between scanning the first and second time. LEDs will communicate whether it fits or not.

My first designs did not take into account user interaction, and was not ergonomic.

I needed to 'interrogate' the form more, till I was able to find a more ergonomic shape, that considered how it would be used, which is shown in the last two images.

I still haven't made a foam model of my modified design.

Rohan

3 comments:

  1. it is an interesting device, the only problem that i can think of is that you seems didn't develop from the original form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great renderings again Rohan. Although I like the refinement of the ergonomics of the device, I do agree with Will; you need to explore and interrogate the form even more. Maybe even experiment with a telescoping design, that will help with the device's portability? Also, it'll interesting to see the technology behind this device; sounds very high tech.
    -Phi Do

    ReplyDelete