Saturday 17 September 2011

Bog it!

Hey everyone,
 
My device is called 'The Bogger'. It takes the question out of 'how much hardener do I need?'; something that I managed to get wrong when making the rendering block. Hopefully the photo of my sketch gives you some idea of the internals and how it works. The user squeezes the trigger which in turn slides the first plunger into the larger tube. This plunger also engages with a gear that rotates the top shaft through a screw thread slowly pushing the top plunger into the smaller tube. I'm sure I have confused you; put simply, the user is able to change ratio's of hardener and filler therefore changing the curing time of each mixture.
 
My design has come a long way. As much as I want to keep making cool space-age super-soaker guns, since making the soft model (pictured) my design has turned into something that looks more like a power tool, which is good. Similar to a caulking gun, my design is very mechanical; the only electronic component I'm going to incorporate is a temperature sensor which gives the user some indication on how ambient temperature will change curing time. This makes the model a challenge to fabricate. I've already made a few mistakes this week so it's a steep learning curve. Anywho, back to it.

Matt Van

2 comments:

  1. Great idea Matt, I think almost everyone here can relate to that same problem. Only concern i would bring up is ensuring that no bog is left in the machine, or perhaps just an easy way to clean it. Otherwise cool idea and keep at it.

    Igor J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very ambitious design matt. I like the design of the handle in your drawing. Very reminiscent of power tool handles. Maybe soften the edges of the front, so that it is consistent with the curvaceous form of the back of the 'bogger'. Also maybe add some more power tool inspired details on the body that fits the mechanical package.

    -Phi Do

    ReplyDelete