Thursday 15 September 2011

Plasticine

Hey,
sorry I'm incredibly late with this one; you know how it is.

So when I assessed the theme for this week I really saw a 'good consumer product' to be one that fits a specific need and from there expands that need to facilitate a plethora of subsequent products.
This was the case with Placticine.
Invented by an English art teacher in 1897 Placticine was intended to be a non-drying clay so students could learn about form and sculpture in a less restricted manner.
In the hundred years since Plasticine has been created in many colours, made less flammable, moved aside for polymer clays and remained a staple in childhood nostalgia all over the globe.
To be honest I love all clays, - except DAS, I hate DAS - I especially love polymer clays and without plasticine we would not be able to enjoy the perks of modern sculpting materials.

-Tahl

No comments:

Post a Comment