Sunday 18 September 2011

Atmosphere meter

My design, the atmosphere meter, is a device that measures how suitable is the environment of a room to study. The basic inputs are the light intensity, temperature, noise and oxygen content in the air.
I started with a manually operated design (a button had to be pressed to suck in the air so the amount of oxygen could be measured) that would be placed on the desk. Taking into consideration the critiques received after the first pin-up, I progressed to a wall mounted design and had to alter the shape. And like most wall mounted devices (for example, air-con units, projectors, etc) I also added a remote control (in blue foam) that can be detached and clipped back to the main unit of my measuring device which would make it more user friendly.
I'll be making a few more modifications. I'll make the main unit thinner and add some buttons to give the device a more functional look. I'll also try to add some lines on the surface of the device because I find it a bit plain at the moment.

Dwayne Chung.

1 comment:

  1. Dwayne, great job and it's great to see you develop on the critiques you received during the first pin up, especially the approach you've taken on making the device wall mounted. It's so much better, because it is now integrated into the user's living space, much like some other existing devices such as thermometers etc. But now you've removed the 'manual operated design' of measuring the oxygen, is the device still be able to measure air quality by other means? Also, how big will the unit be because, a device like this, can't be too large, otherwise it'll be too invasive on the environment. Also, I like the concave detail in foam model, but this may be hard to make in workshop.

    -Phi Do

    ReplyDelete