Thursday 8 September 2011

Captain Underpants!

I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't want to admit it, but we can't live without underwear...(or can we? ;) )
It comes in many different shapes and sizes to suit everyone's body and personality and with the wrong ones we can get pretty grumpy.

A little history of ze underwear: It originated almost 7000 years ago but it started out with was what called a 'loincloth' which was made of strips of material or even leather.
As history goes on the style and comfort (in some sense) of underwear has improved to the many common styles we have today; briefs, boxers, bikini, boyshorts, g-string (yes I said it) and many more.
Another fine product that was inspired by the underwear was the diaper! Commonly used on babies..

Well even though we all have our different opinions I think underwear may be one of the best consumer products out there. It is an everyday product used by almost everybody in the world no matter the race/age/sex.

Mey Chiam


4 comments:

  1. Great write up Mey, never would have thought of this one. Don't forget diapers for the elderly
    Shaun T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice take Mey! But I am just going to put it out there..how many people "go commando" or live in communities that don't wear clothing, like some tribes and stuff.

    I kinda feel that underwear have become a superficial (if that is the right word) thing. It is a fashion statement, just a bit more privately chosen. Don't know if i agree 100% on it being the best consumer product.

    mote

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true, but I think that can be said about a lot of the products posted up here.
    Many 'underdeveloped' countries around the world probably wouldn't get the chance to use these items too.

    I'm pretty sure things like consoles and iphones are too becoming more like a fashion statement as once on the train I heard a young private schooler boy say to his friend 'Can you believe it 4 kids in my class STILL don't have an iPhone 4'
    I'm sure he wasn't talking about functionality either.

    Mey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, Captain Underpants. Now THAT was a great consumer product. No. Seriously. I remember back in primary school EVERYONE was reading those.
    I feel all nostalgic now...

    ReplyDelete