Wednesday 14 September 2011

Good Measure Direction

Fellow Industrial Design student.

I have posted with my blog this week, a photo of three models that I have made over the course of the project because I think they best represent where I have come from and the direction I am taking at this point in time. The models are in chronological order from left to right (right being my final model in progress). My device measure the level of sound in an industrial context and tells the workers in the are using a light system how damaging the sound is for their hearing. I began with a small hand held device (left), but realised that this would not full fill the workshop requirements, but was a little too simple in terms of the form. The model in the centre was after my directional shift. This is a larger device is designed to be mounted on a wall in various parts of a factory were workers spend most of their time. This design has a removable section that plugs into a computer to graph the change in sound levels. I liked this form as it had curves that made it interesting. But I realised that this form was too thin in the lower section for an industrial environment. I thought that it would have to be more robust in order to take knocks. I also made the over all form larger to make it more eye catching and stand out, as it is no use if it sits back in the factory environment. These are demonstrated in my model on the right, which will eventually be my final.

Enjoy!

Matthew Harding  

1 comment:

  1. i think your design is interesting..
    i see the shift made from your initial idea to the later one and you still keep the round button in the middle of your device.
    As you said, it can be used for workers in factories, i am wondering how dose it keep long battery life and how it is going to inform people the sound level?

    i like your change of design, keep going!..

    ReplyDelete