Thursday 15 September 2011

Good Measure Development

Here's a couple of images describing some development of my Good Measure Device. The device is a lamp that measures the natural light (through windows) in the room and provides a complementary light according to a user defined setting.

The first lamp is a completely rough concept merely describing the notion that I must have some sort of setting controls (i.e. slider knob) and a hazy idea as to the size of a typical task light.

I then moved to the implementation of a bank of LED lights, giving my design a thin rectangular prism on top. I tried to reflect that on the base, and emphasised the two forms with a minimalistic frame supporting the lamp. This design solved a critical problem for me - by simplifying the positioning of the light source the lamp could have a far greater knowledge of the amount of light on the workspace, a critical issue for me.

At this stage I've made the lamp bigger, allowing it to reach over a common computer screen height in order to light a keyboard and workspace without being too visually intrusive. I've also balanced the base and the lamp head, providing more symmetry and stability.

I have quite a few more details to sure up, including potential cross-beam supports, cord attachment and slider knob placement (when a computer screen is in front of the lamp it might be tricky to reach the knob, but might be fine with a common screen as opposed to my mounted laptop).

Thanks for reading guys,

Nicholas Avery 

4 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this in the workshop and instantly loved the minimalistic form you incorperated into your design. I would never have quessed it was a lamp until I saw this post.
    Just one suggestion though, have you considered making the height of the lamp adjustable? Some computers/laptops won't be mounted as high as your example so having that massive gap might be a little troublesome.
    Once again, love the balanced form, can't wait to see it when it's done!

    Karen Ly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks heaps Karen. I have thought quite seriously about making the height adjustable also, but ended up opting for the simpler solution.

    The reason I did this is that my lamp needs to know exactly how much light is on the work space surface (which a computer can do with a little physics), which meant that when you adjust the lamp, the lamp must know you've adjusted it, so that it can account for the adjustment by varying the light accordingly, making the work space evenly and constantly lit.

    The best way I found for the lamp to 'know' its position is by introducing gears into the frame, which turn as you move the lamp. So basically I have those gears situated at the top of the lamp on my design, turning when you tilt the head, however I found it a bit too complicated introducing another set of gears also recording the lamps height as well.

    So basically I opted out of hard mechanics, and didn't really ever consider lasers or anything too hi-tech.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what this was. I've seen it in the workshop a few times.

    I think the height it's at is good for a large range of laptop computers. Is the lamp only for computer use or does it also work say when you are writing something? My only concern is that unwanted shadows from hand movement may be a result of having it the height it is. In saying this, I completely understand your comment of the lamp always having to adapt to changes.

    Awesome work mate, original idea as well. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was Matt Van by the way....

    ReplyDelete