Friday 9 September 2011

LEGO

First of all, who doesn't like LEGO? I'm sure everyone has either played with it or stepped on it (haha, super painful!) at some stage. It's one of those products that is truly timeless; it continues to develop according to the trends, yet somehow always relates back to the standard geometry of the original LEGO brick.
 
Starting in the late 50's, Ole Kirk Christiansen started the LEGO Group purley because he coudn't find toys for his children at the time. The word 'LEGO' comes from Danish leg godt or 'play well'.  He originally made wooden toys as well as basic build-at-home models but soon moved onto plastic injection moulding. This allowed him to mass-produce small construction bricks of varying sizes which in turn, allowed people to construct almost anything that they could conjure up in their head. Today, not only does the original LEGO brick design still exist, it has transformed into different themes over time, the most popular being LEGO Star Wars. It has even made it's way into schools and universities as a learning aid, introducing students to basic mechanics and robotics. 
 
I think that LEGO is a product that keeps on giving and is a really innovative solution to the disposable nature of many products today, especially childrens toys. I'm not just giving it the two thumbs up because I work at a LEGO shop, the fact that when I was younger I was playing with LEGO that my uncle used to play with when he was a child speaks volumes of LEGO's successful design that hasn't really changed at all since it first started.
 
Matt Van
 
References:
 

6 comments:

  1. I'm also a lego-phile Matt, I agree with you that it is awesome fun. I'd like to mention the design's cross-generational amalgamations - By making the bricks large and smoother, you appeal to a very young audience, by making them themed, you cover all genres that children are interested in, by gearing them up, you appeal to older audiences and by introducing computers and motors you appeal to adults. The diversity of the simple mutations that can arise from Lego's initial brick is why I commend it for its good design.

    Nicholas Avery

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate how Lego promotes cognitive learning to young children. I am still surprised to find that even a lot of girls once played with Lego. Lego continue to make themselves relevant by latching onto already successful franchises such as Harry Potter and Star Wars (as you have already mentioned Matt). They're even selling similar themed computer games, which I find is a clever reinvention rather seeing it as them selling out. Many companies out there are trying to mimic Lego's design, but like you said Matt, it will be timeless and forever stand strong in the market.

    -Phi Do

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you work at a LEGO shop just simply is awesome!
    I would agree in placing LEGO high on the list of best consumer prouducts!

    Mote

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Lego really is an amazing product, and confess that my sisters and I have spent a multitude of hours using the stuff. However, I am sure parents don't always feel the same. If I had to fault Lego on anything, and I am pulling at strings here, it would be the hazard factor. As a nurse my mother has witnessed many Lego related incidents, primarily the ones involving the small bricks up the nose. But aside from this factor Lego is pretty flawless. There is nothing like the click that the pieces make when snapped together and I think it is this quality that ensures no other block will ever come close.

    Ashlee Shepherd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to point out this hazard factor too, but as Ashlee said, it's clearly just nitpicking.
    But there'll be hazard factors with everything child related. Anything which encourages creativity in young children is great in my opinion.

    Dael

    Dael.

    ReplyDelete