Saturday 24 September 2011

Cyclist visibility - refinement

Hi all,

I've refined most components of my cyclist visibility measuring device and I'm now mainly focusing on my hard model, which needs a lot of attention. Over the week I've been trying to find a solution to having removable handles as well as have them connected to the electrical circuit that's connected to the photovoltaic cell in the headlight unit of the handlebars. This way the side lights on the handles also increase/ decrease intensity once the handle has been remove and reattached . I've been looking at a few different ways (detachable wires from the headlight to handle on the exterior etc), but i wanted the circuit to remain in the interior for visual reasons. As the handles are being removed via buttons on each side of the handle that can be squeezed with the index and thumb, I've looked at other products with the same sort of function and I came across the Dremel tool that we have at the Monash workshop. The rechargeable battery pack (in picture 2) for the Dremel tool has just what I'm looking for: a removable part that retracts upon squeezing and a connection to a power supply that works after removal and reattaching. In my case, I don't want my power supply to be rechargeable as my main source of power is through my PV cell, so the little conducting plates in the handle will connect to conducting plates in the handlebar, drawing current from the PV cell.

--

Cynthia Tang

No comments:

Post a Comment