Saturday 24 September 2011

Task Light Refinement

As far as refinement is concerned I think I'm pretty much at the end of the road, maybe.

I've resolved the interaction between the cord and struts, settling with four aluminium tubing struts connecting to the internal but visible cord. All of the connections between these circular sections and the frame/base/head will be similar cylindrical forms, tying the cord and the struts together a little more.

A major problem I've now resolved was the size of my two knobs at the head of the light. These used to be sitting within the extremities of the frame, but now I've decided to enlarge them, exposing them (and the gears to match the form), making them much more ergonomic, whilst maintaining if not enforcing my light's functionalist aesthetic. 

All I really have left to resolve is the relationship between the light sensors on top and the LED's on the bottom of the lamp head. I'm suspecting at this stage I'll do 5 rows of LED's underneath the lamp, and potentially 3 rows of light sensors on top. 

Other than that all I can say is I'm not really looking forward to the next week of my life. Thanks for reading,

Nicholas Avery


3 comments:

  1. I like the functional form you have established in the design, especially the way you have connected the cord from the base to the light source. Are you going to add working lights into your model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. James (sorry forgot my name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well nick, you definitely have a certain style to your designs. This could almost be in the same range as your radio. I really like the simplistic nature of the design. However to me, your sections seem very thin and flimsy. Hopefully this won't be an issue when you're constructing this in workshop.

    -Phi Do

    ReplyDelete