Saturday 17 September 2011

Commuter Clip

My good measure device is one that measures the amount of sleep that you can get on public transport before you reach your desired location. I have aimed to make the design as simple as possible, as the user will most likely be sleepy and more occupied fighting for a seat on the train/tram/bus during peak hour.

In my initial design I looked at having the device set out as a wrist band but I found that this would be pretty irritating for the user to put on especially if they are already wearing a watch or another device.  Developing from that I moved to a clip device, as the user could place it anywhere including breast pocket, bag strap or belt and after use easily place if away for the trip home.

The device would work with the assistance of GPS and be pre-programmed (via computer) before your trip so that it knows your destination. Throughout your journey it will measure distance and time and convert it to a vibration and a LED flash. I have chosen to exclude any sound alerts as it could be drowned out by the noise on public transport and somewhat awkward. The user will be alerted prior to arriving to their correct stop and the vibration/flash brightness will increase if they fail to respond on approach to their stop.

Currently I'm trying to integrate the Myki which would be a great addition to the design and exploring colour choices which would suit the current transport system.     

(Sorry for lack of photos I've had some technical difficulties)

Igor Jovanovic    

1 comment:

  1. Nice Igor. I really like your idea and adapting it into a clip rather than a wristband is much more convenient.

    Chris K

    ReplyDelete