Friday 16 September 2011

Rocket Todd

As a normal teenager, I generally don't try to think about what I eat. If I crave it, I'll go get it and I'll most likely deal with the consequences when I'm in my early 40's. But for infants, the rules for what you should feed them is a lot stricter if you want them to grow up healthy and strong.
 
For my Good Measure product, I've designed a bottle targetted to new mothers who struggle to give the right proportions of milk to their toddler. It's basically 3 sippy cups sitting on top of eachother with a heat sensitive bar to indicate whether the milk is too hot or too cold. The way it locks together makes it portable for the parent on the run; the parent can simply pour 3 servings of milk powder and later add hot water when it's time to feed their toddler. It's held together by a series of pins which unlocks each cup from eachother when twisted in the right direction.
 
My foam mock up didn't really turn out the way I wanted it to; the model wasn't round nor big enough for my liking. It is, however, a rough idea of how all three cups sit on top of each other in a way where the exterior form 'locks' together when it's completely shut.
 
This week I experimented more with the form and how it would interact with the user - an 18 month toddler. I concluded that the sides would be hard to grip onto for a child so I introduced handles. A light bulb struck and I realised these accelerated handles reminded me of rocket fins; this, I guess from a marketting point of view, could place a theme into my design by implying that kids are full of energy-like a rocket about to blast off! (Yeah...I got a little too excited over these handles).
 
So far so good, although I still see a lot of work ahead of me, not to mention wood shavings on all of my clothes.
 
 
Karen Ly 

1 comment:

  1. I love the twisting part of ur design, I got twisting mechanism on my digital bungle as well, let's discuss to give a best way to figure out this mechanism.

    ReplyDelete