Sunday 18 September 2011

Recycling bin

Recycling bin

In brief, what I have designed for the measurement project is a garbage bin with recycling bin. This product measures the weight of wastes and displays how much the person contributes to save environment by means of LED tree. The heavier the recycling waste is the higher LED tree level goes up.


There were massive changes throughout the process. The shapes and functional attributes are mainly changed. When I designed it first, It had four different categories: Landfill, plastic, paper and glass. But as it is used outside of house, I realized that the recycling bin does not need to divide the categories into three. It could just be recycling bin. So I have decided to design my recycling and landfill bins into two categories.


Another change was the shape. As it is used in public, I needed to think about the vandalizing. What I designed first had independent solar panel which was mounted on the bin. But that doesn't look strong enough to resist external impact. So what I have decided to solve this problem is that I have changed the shape and put the solar panel on the bin.

 

Richard

1 comment:

  1. Love this concept, and look forward to seeing details on how it measures and stuff. I wonder if you have considered how people some time take their rubbish to parks to dispose of it after a party because their own bin is too full. How could you control this? I know we are meant to be encouraging people to recycle but how do you keep out dumpster divers who collect bottles in say SA for deposit etc.

    Keep up the great work!!

    Mote

    ReplyDelete