Tuesday 4 October 2011

This week's post - product interaction, the good and the bad

Today in class we spoke a little about the difference between concept and execution. Having a good idea is one thing, but pulling it off is another.

A good example of this is the current iPhone - great concept, but the execution is actually flawed - the steel edge interferes with reception, and we all know how delicate they are.

This week, the blog is about product interaction. As you're all detailing your designs, I'd like this issue to be at the front of your mind. HOW are people going to interact with your product?

The post itself is quite simple - I'd like to see examples and discussion of products with good (or bad) interfaces, and critically, WHY you think so!

Coffee machines, phone interfaces, doors, etc, there are heaps of products which could be so much better (in execution) except for their interface.

So don't pull any punches here folks, if you can think critically about interface, you're on your way to being a designer who can make the world better!

Robbie

--
Dr Robbie Napper
Lecturer
Industrial Design
Monash University



1 comment:

  1. Just to let you know Robbie I mentioned the iPhone yesterday essentially as a joke. My thinking was more along the lines that the product is essentially a mundane idea which has an excellent execution (at least in a marketing sense).

    I'll agree, however, that my mostly irrational logic is fuelling my argument against the phone. Maybe I'm thinking as far as a design is concerned I don't really believe it deserves all the hype it gets, whilst it might deserve some of it. Also I don't really like the idea that Apple continues to relentlessly churn out more and more product upgrades. I see this as essentially a marketing exercise which takes resources and time away from the undiscerning consumer (no offense guys...).

    I might just, stop writing now.

    Nick Avery

    ReplyDelete