Saturday 22 October 2011

Colour scheme

I have been mulling over possible design decisions for a while now, as I feel it is quite important in implying the design direction I have taken the device form-wise.

What I mean by saying that is that while my device needs to be discreet in order to effectively measure productivity, I also wanted to inject some personality and style into my measuring machine, both for the sake of prospective buyers and to make it more interesting to design.

As a result, I have imagined a device that borrows aesthetics from tactile 50s and 60s era products. The main inspiration comes from the microphone grill on the front, which has been taken from the classic 50s microphone. However, applying a chrome finish to the product would make it look garish and obnoxious. It is designed to look neat but ultimately fade into the background of classrooms and office spaces. I have have chosen to go with a cool to mid-tone grey with a tiny blue tinge to evoke the soft metallic look without being too overbearing.

The colour is also inspired by the industrial-looking cool blues of 60s and 70s sci-fi films, because I like the style and think it looks slick, but still very grounded and real.

-Tom Millward

1 comment:

  1. It's looking really good.
    Although I have really loved your design for this product since the first pinup, every alteration down to the smallest tweak (that i have seen) seems necessary in it's own right and effective.
    Really good work!
    -Tahl

    ReplyDelete