Saturday 8 October 2011

Plug Problem

After the death of my iPhone I had to revert back to one of the old Nokia mobile phones I had lying around the house and with this came the search for the charger. Once finding the charger I realized that it blocked anything plugged in on the left or you had to unplug all your devices and re-plug them so that the Nokia charger would stick out left and not obstruct anything. Or in some cases just leave one item unplugged while your phone charges. All these aspects make it a very difficult interface to work with efficiently.

This Nokia charger is not the first device I have had a plug problem with, it has happened with other device chargers, speakers and even modem devices. The fact that a majority of these products are designed for in home and office use means that you are using your device in an environment packed with meters of cabling and multiple plugs, this design flaw makes the space a lot less efficient in an area where space and accessibility is vital. I feel that a lot of these devices have been made this way to stay compact but have in some way ignored how it will actually be used.

A reasonable solution to this problem would be to separate the current converters/Amps away from the wall socket like many laptop chargers or perhaps position the electrical components in a different way so that they are not obscuring the other sockets.

 

Igor Jovanovic.

2 comments:

  1. I experienced the same problem as well. You either have to keep the plug on the very left or the very right of your power board. And sometimes it just doesn't work, because the cable is not long enough.

    - Hannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar problem with fat USB's that block out outlets on either side. It's gotten to the point for me where it is just easier to send the files than transfer it on my big fat annoying usb.

    -Phi Do

    ReplyDelete