Saturday 8 October 2011

i CAN open this!

Something I think seriously needs some interface improvement is the CAN. While cans are pretty easy to hold, recyclable, and quick and easy to produce, they're pretty difficult to open. When I was little and had tiny hands (even smaller than now... wow!) I would always spill my drink - or whatever else was in the can - because I wasn't strong enough to open the pull tab lid. While this can be good as it kind of childproofs the can, it is still difficult for adults - you have to hold the can very steady to avoid knocking it over, and it's very hard to do with just one hand - especially if you have small ones like me. However one thing I do need to say in the pull tab's favour: that snap sound as you open it - love it!

I'm not entirely sure on how this interface issue could be improved to make the can more user-friendly, as other types of can openings are just as difficult - for example, a can that needs to be opened using a can opener. I don't know about you guys, but with these I still manage to spill everything out the side - maybe I'm just super uncoordinated? But the jagged edges aren't all that user-friendly either. 

The big plus for the aluminium cans is definitely not the opening of it, but its disposability and recyclability, and that's why, despite me spilling a little of my drink almost every time, I'll keep using them.

Holly

something i found interesting:

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you on this one. There's nothing worse than trying to get a can open when you have long nails, I have broken many in such attempts and the result can be quite painful. Perhaps a can could be developed with a screw top that has the same diameter as the base of the can so that the containers can still be stacked easily? I feel that screw caps are a lot easier to use - especially the ones used on milk bottles and water bottles - whilst maintaining the ability to be water tight.

    Ashlee Shepherd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, i think it will be an issue at first time or maybe for kid to open.
    but now even i don't have long nails, i can still open a can easily. yeah, you need put a bit force to it and maybe girls find it more difficult. After all, i also regards these tiny handles as good design, efficient for production and at least, they are pushed in rather than out, so that they won't cut your lips, when you drink it.

    ReplyDelete