Friday 29 July 2011

To toast or not to? Russell Hobbs designs

As a uni student, having to wake up in early hours of the morning doesn't exactly give you much time to make a nice healthy/grand breakfast, so usually a bit of toast and some tea does the trick...I think.
While we have our $12 coles toasters there are some pretty neat looking toasters out there on the market.
One of the ones that caught my eye was a design from Russell Hobbs 'Silohouette' collection.
I've noticed that generally most toasters come in a white or stainless steel material, which makes it hard to stand out from the others on the shelf.

It is a 4 piece collection consisting of a kettle, toaster 2 and 4 slice, and a sandwich press. Each design contrasts a black hardened glass and a mirror finished steel which looks oh so classy, especially in the modern/contemporary kitchens we'd all like to have one day. What I like about the designs is that they aren't overly flashy but when seeing them on the shelf they definitely stand out from the others. Also the designs are simple yet innovative, for example the 2 piece toaster has a little sliding out tray for the crumbs that get caught inside, and yet while it's pushed in like normal you wouldn't even notice it. I don't even think you can even get the crumbs out of my toaster without turning it upside down and shaking it! But what you pay is what you get right?
These little appliances don't come cheap either where the prices range from $100-$200 each. 

But while most of us don't even worry about what our toasters look like I think that if we had the money, why not? And well if I did I'd trade my $12 coles toaster in any day for this Russell Hobbs design.

Resources:
http://www.russellhobbs.com.au/collections/silhouette/product_detail.html?prod_id=233
http://www.silhouettecollection.com.au/about.php

Mey

3 comments:

  1. Have you experienced a Morphy Richards product?
    Kettle 01

    My family appreciate good design that works well - this may be forced upon them by me. My family also like things that light up! We purchased about just over a year ago a kettle that lit up with a blue light so you would know the kettle was boiling. Not only did it light up it sounded like a space ship about to take off, it boiled ever so loudly.

    Big tea drinkers in our household however the filter that was placed at the top inside the kettle broke after the year and after the warranty had finished.

    No one was impressed...and get this it cost $50 more just for the light up version - rip off.

    So, now I am pleased to announce we have a new kettle in our household, thanks to the AMEX extra year of warranty. I put forward the Breville BKE820 . What a quite, gentle kettle, with multiple selections to brew your perfect cup of tea/coffee at!

    So far much love and fun has been had with this kettle and we have each found our favourite temperatures! The other great fun function is that it will keep your water at the chosen temperature for another few minutes with the simple preset press of a button! I noticed as well they even took care at adding a finger hole loop for the cord, instead of yanking the cord. Poor explanation but looks neat!

    Happy Brewing.
    -Motey

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty expensive though, but this toaster is really designed in detail I can tell. And I think what makes this toaster stand out from other toaster is not only the use of material but the cylindrical button.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my experience Russell Hobbs makes appliances that look great but are utterly useless. A couple of years ago my family purchased a sandwich press that had a frosted glass exterior and wooden handle and it broke in a month, we replaced it with the another which didn't last that much longer. I'm not saying that they all will but I think there has to be a middle ground, because really you could design the most beautiful appliance but if it doesn't work it's just a very expensive paper weight.

    James Meikle

    ReplyDelete