Saturday 30 July 2011

iPod Touch 4th Gen (2005)

This iPod was the first ever electronic gadget I ever bought, as I had never been interested in games consoles or music players before. But when I saw this iPod I had to have it. There was something so beautiful about it. It wasn't overly bulky or cluttered with buttons like the walkmans but just so simple.  The basic geometric shapes that made up the scroll wheel and screen were so perfectly proportioned and placed I can't find any faults with it. It wasn't the first iPod out on the market but was the first to have a colour screen.  Even the graphics that appeared on-screen were so well designed, the battery icon, the time slider, everything was just so perfect.  

There are two reasons/features that I loved about this particular iPod. The colour scheme of white, grey and chrome was something I instantly loved and something that I really miss seeing on the newer iPod models. The other thing I loved about the iPod was the scroll wheel. While the newer iPod Touch is no doubt incredibly easy to use, the scroll wheel was amazing to use and still is even when compared to a touch screen. The fact that it can scroll by touch and still function as buttons was the reason behind its appeal.

At that point in time the ability to have 20gb worth of songs on something that small was incredible. Of course now that amount of storage not as impressive and sadly why I had to upgrade to a newer iPod Touch but I still love the design of this iPod much more.


Stefan H  

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to agree with you here Stefan.
    While I also (sadly) have had to upgrade my Ipod in recent years, I still have a great amount of appreciation for the original design.

    My somewhat outdated iPod 'Touch Wheel" model:
    http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1353/HT1353_29.jpg

    My particular model had a great 'all-touch' interface. It had literally no actual pushable buttons. Interestingly, over the years they apparently forgot about this concept, and newer models of the iPod featured a'Click wheel' instead.
    While the 'click wheel' was still incredibly clever, I believe personally the 'All-touch' interface was what made the iPod so special. The 'touch' interface makes the feel more simple and natural.
    Of course, Apple eventually realised the value of 'touch' and created a new iPod Nano, iPhone and iTouch.
    Perhaps in the future everything will be controlled through touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you end up replacing it with?

    Haha I remember those. Did yours have the red backlight behind the buttons?
    The click wheel only scrolled right? It couldn't be pressed down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! That's it.
    It had that cool red light that glowed behind the buttons, and the screen lights up bright blue!
    And yeah, nothing that could be pressed down.
    I had to replace it though because of the crummy battery life. Today if I were to take it out of my speakers, it'd last about 10 seconds! But then again it IS over 7 years old haha.
    I replaced it with this nano:
    https://dailyoffer.com.au/images/P/Ipod_Nano2.jpg
    It's the one that had a video camera (which couldn't take photos!?!?).

    ReplyDelete