Saturday 30 July 2011

Apple Magic Mouse

Now I'm not a huge Apple fanboy...
However, one thing I have always admired about Apple products is amount of care they put into the appearance of their products.
The Apple Magic Mouse is no exception. The combination of functionality and simplicity, make it one of my favourite designs. 

Utilising technology from the iPhone, the Magic Mouse eliminated the need for a scrolling wheel. 
Without going into too much detail (I'm no technology expert) the mouse uses Multi-Touch technology, which allows you to scroll by simply sliding fingers across the top of the mouse. As a result, the mouse has a smooth uninterrupted surface which feels much more natural to hold and is generally much more pleasing to look at! 
Also, through the use of Bluetooth technology the mouse is completely wireless, reducing desk clutter, and potentially improving office efficiency. 

As with all other aspects of design, I value simplicity. In recent years there appears to have a been a greater emphasis on the importance of simplicity.
Through advancements in technology, we now have a range of keyboard, screens, controllers, and remotes which aim to become a more seamless part of the home/office environment, rather than a just stand-alone object. The mouse does this. It sits comfortably (even more so next to an Mac) in its environment.

In danger of sounding like I worship the mouse and all things Mac. I'll add that the mouse does take a little while to adjust to after using a mouse with a standard scroll wheel.
I have also read reviews that say the mouse makes it hard to use powerful software such as CAD. 
Regardless, the mouse is still greatly innovative and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more 'button-less' mouses popping up...

Dael M


 

1 comment:

  1. I Have to say it is a really nice design, very elegant, sleek and simple. But for me, the satisfaction of pressing a well weighted button will always appeal to me.

    Rohan Satyamurthy

    ReplyDelete