Saturday 30 July 2011

Zippo Lighter

It might seem strange to cite the Zippo Lighter as a favourite design of mine, but time and time again, this product's simple, classy and ultimately utilitarian design has fulfilled it's purpose and proven it's worth.
 
The history of the Zippo lighter began in 1932, when George G. Blaisdell, when he saw the potential in an Austrian lighter with the design of the chimney to protect the flame from wind and rain, but realised it wasn't durable or ergonomic. Blaisdell refashioned it, retaining the chimney, but changing the case with a hinge.
 
For the next 75 years the design has undergone minor modifications, and the company has maintained their policy that "It works or we fix it for free".
 
The Zippo lighter has proved to be timeless and a design icon, being used in all sorts of environments including military and outdoor use.
 
I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm plugging Zippo lighters, but believe me, I'm just a fan
 
Rohan Satyamurthy
 
Resources:
 

2 comments:

  1. This is a perfect example of what we were talking about in M&M class, a product that you associate with a sound. I love the sound of opening and closing a Zippo, I could do it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I especially like how there's all these tricks you can do with them.

    Rohan

    ReplyDelete