Saturday 30 July 2011

The Ford GT40......yeah sorry guys, its another car

All areas of design interest me, but the Automotive industry is something I am very passionate about. Family involvement in motorsport sparked my early interest and from then on, cars have been pretty much been my life. To single out one object, or product to be my most favourite is impossible for me, and although the most likely answer for me would be something automotive, there are quite a few products, buildings and interiors that I can really relate to, and believe that they are successful in their own right. So despite my indecisiveness, I have chosen a car, and its The Ford GT40.


The Ford GT40 is a car that from the first time I saw it, I loved. I'm not talking about the newer "GT" version, but the older 60's le mans winning and road car models. The car was named GT (for Grand Touring) with the 40 representing its overall height of 40 inches (1.02 m, measured at the windshield) as required by racing rules. The GT40 started its life as a race car, but later road car versions were released. This car was the winner of the 24 hour Le Mans four times in a row, and so far, is still the only race car built in America to win overall at Le Mans.

 

The reason why this car appeals to me so much is because one, it has history, and two because of its emotional connection that can be established from driving one. The GT40 has a real rawness to it that I love. It's like its saying "this is no bullshit, I'm the real deal." As I am a race driver myself, driving emotion, and car handling are two very important things in which I and other drivers look for in all cars. My first part time job, was working for a company that built GT40 replicas for clients in Australia, and in other countries. This was where my love for these cars only intensified. To have the opportunity to build these cars, was both a great education, but an awesome experience.

 

The GT40 solves the very hard task of being extremely appealing (in its design) whilst being functional. Another important reason on why this car is so successful in my mind, its how it can relate to not only motorsport fanatics, but everyday people too. Its super low seating position, aggressive styling and iconic sound of its 4.9 ltr V8 engine turn just about every head when driven down the road. I have had the very lucky opportunity to drive an original 60's GT40, as well as the replicas on the road, and on the race track. You as the driver, is instantly filled with an overwhelming sense of excitement, and control when sitting behind the wheel. Everything around you is there for a reason from the instruments and  materials used to the enormous amount of power generated from the engine.

 

The weight placement had also been very thought out and is considered one of the many trademarks of the GT40's design. The mid mounted engine and seating position being so low (and close to the middle) enabled the weight to be as close as possible to the centre of gravity, which helped greatly in its handling.

I believe this is to date, its one of the few cars that has even come close to solving its purpose entirely. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of cars that look amazing, serve their purpose and drive exceptionally well, but most of the time they a lacking that little something, or the body lines aren't quite right. Or, it simply doesn't meet all the needs of the intended user(s). The design of the body, lines and features of the GT40 all seem to work, and its raw racing appeal, are just a few of many reasons why the GT40 is my most favoured design icon.


Hope everyone here can appreciate this car, just as much as i do.

Tom Grech

No comments:

Post a Comment