Saturday 30 July 2011

Uzu Vacuum Cleaner


For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with vacuum cleans and it's not because I'm a neat freak who cleans the house a hundred times a day. I think it's because the ones my family owned always looked so sleek and futuristic and had such bright colours compared to the other lifeless white or stainless, box shaped appliances we owned. I think that a good design should intrigue and if need be compel  the consumer to want to use the item. This is especially important with vacuums as no one likes cleaning and if you had to do it with an ugly lifeless machine fewer people would. That is why the Uzu vacuum cleaner is one of my favourite designs as it actually makes me want to do something I dislike because I want to interact with the machine.


There has clearly been so much thought put into the design, for one its cordless which has always been a huge hindrance in the practicality of former models. Secondly, it easily folds up to a minimal size when not in use, locking in place with a pleasing soft click and when it is needed there are simple release buttons to unfold it. But apart from the functionality in my opinion it looks beautiful. The site describes it as, not only been designed to clean but when not in use be part of the interior design of a  room, and I agree. It uses such simple basic shapes which to me look so smooth you can't help but want to handle the appliance. Additionally the block colour, which does come in others apart from this fluorescent orange, is so eye catching that it almost would force an observer to first notice the design then appreciate the hard work that has gone into creating this item and inevitably use it.


James Meikle


Resources:

http://www.metaphys.jp/product/electric/archives/200803172.php

No comments:

Post a Comment