Wednesday 27 July 2011

Jaguar C-Type

Hi all,
 
I'm a petrol head at heart, so I draw inspiration from anything that has an engine and wheels; mostly classic cars. From the early 1930's through to the 1960's, car design was truly remarkable, almost emotional. I sound a little strange, I know...  
 
The Jaguar C-Type is a 1950's LeMans racing car that was a triumph both on and off the track, winning the prestigious event in 1951 and 1952. It was one of the first automobiles to use disc brakes, which were a revelation at the time compared to drum brakes; but it was its iconic shape that took the competition by storm. Malcom Sayer was tasked with designing the body; having had previous experience with aeroplane aerodynamics explains the fluid-form of the C-Type bodywork. Funnily enough, he designed the car in his backyard of an afternoon so that he had the right 'light' that emphasise the curvature of the bonnet. I believe it's a shape that hasn't aged and this to me is good design, it almost looks like it is going fast standing still!
 
As part of VCE, Design and Technology was one of my subjects and I designed and manufactured an automotive inspired desktop lamp, based on classic cars; one being the Jaguar C-Type. I took small details from my research here and there and tried to apply it to a light-form. I was fortunate enough to have my final piece displayed at the 2010 Top Designs Exhibition and I'm hoping to start developing a range of different lamps based around 'things with wheels'.
 
You'll have to flip through some of the other cool designs to get to it. Let me know what you think of the lamp, any suggestions on changes and possible designs are much appreciated.
 
Cheers,
Matthew Van
 
Resources


 

No comments:

Post a Comment